12.05.2005

USB Turntable... Another afternoon wasted?

I've been scanning all my boxes of random newspaper clipping, comics and such so I won't have to tote them around. While I donated the vast, vast majority of my vinyl records to a DJ friend, I've got a handful of unique records I want to archive for future generations. These include a couple of hours of the Dr. Demento radio program (as it was distributed to radio stations), New England Traditions in Folk Music, Jackalope (This one's on CD, but I'm very fond of the album cover), my arch-enemy Tom Paxton on The World of Folk Music... that sort of thing. So I've been on the lookout for a used record player with a decent needle and then I'll have to hook the record player up to the computer and on and on. It seems like more trouble than is really worthwhile. On the other hand, I'll be really pissed at myself if these irreplaceable records accidently get left out in the sun.

Enter the iTTUSB, the USB Turntable.

Not only does it hook directly up to your Windows or Macintosh computer via a USB port but it can stream your records to the included software at HIGH SPEEDS. I thought that was a pretty neat idea until I realized, first off: the included software is freely available. Secondly, any record player can stream the record at a faster speed. It's called 78 rpm. Just rip it chipmunk-style and the run it through you standard slowanator software. Still... USB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home