9.25.2006

Outtawhack Day Pack Field Test

As I mentioned in July, I got a new backpack slash briefcase slash messenger bag. I had to wait until September before I could give it a proper test in actual travel conditions. Here's the baby, the Timbuk2 Outtawhack Day Pack, as photographed at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.



Now, I dislike the appellation "daypack" for two reasons. First, it connotes something a child might take to day care, something I have many unpleasant (though not disturbing) memories of. Secondly, if I'm going somewhere for just a day, I can fit everything I need in my pockets. For my testing, I took it on a five day trip as my only bag.

Modern travel works best if one travels lightly. I hate checking bags at the ticket counter (or storing them under the bus, of one's travel inclinations tilt towards the Greyhound side). I'm usually carrying enough electronics that I don't want to let my bag out of my sight anyway. The Outtawack loves electronics almost as much as I do, as it gladly swallowed everything I wanted to take with me (MacBook, Nintendo DS, iPod Mini, digital camera, card reader, cell phone, extra batteries and chargers). It's got a huge padded pocket for laptops and myriad slots and pockets for other gear. There's a small grommet in the flap where one could run headphone wires if they had a music player that wouldn't fit in their pocket. Some sort of Victrola, I imagine. A zippered pocket just under the flap is the perfect size for a compact camera and keeps it at the ready. Being a daypack, the bag isn't designed with clothes in mind. My plan was to take half the number of clothes I would actually need, as my hotel would have laundry services on site. Clothes in one compartment, laptop in the second, small gear in the outside, flapped pocket. Unfortunately, even half my allotment of clothes taxed the capacity of the pack, and it was completely stuffed before I even drove to the airport.

The backpack straps are soft and wide and very comfortable and there's two handholds when one wants to carry it. In backpack mode, the straps sit at a jaunty angle, giving the bag the hip "worn on one shoulder" look while evenly distributing weight across the shoulders. There's a secret fourth pocket that I thought was for storing newspapers and magazines. It's actually for stuffing the backpack straps into when the bag functions as a briefcase. And the whole shooting match fits neatly under aircraft seats.

On my return trip, instead of washing my clothes I just bought new ones. I was able to stuff three more shirts and a medium sized toy hedgehog into the bag. Airport security pulled me out of line to hand check my bag and immediately regretted it. "I may not be able to get this closed again", the hapless screener said. But we did and I was winging my way back home.

This would be a great bag for a weekend trip and an outstanding supplement to a dedicated suitcase. It worked just fine for a primary bag for me, but some travelers may prefer to bring more than one pair of pants. It's an extremely comfortable backpack and seems very well built. Timbuk2 has a wide variety of bags and backpacks and will custom built many of their items to your color specifications. I really like this backpack and it's replaced my Kensington bag for traveling.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the same bag. REI outlet had a 20% off sale.. I got it for just over $50 so.. Hopefully this will end my quest for the "perfect" bag.
I like my current North Face Recon, but the pockets aren't so handy. I hated my Targus backpack- too bulky. I hated the wheeled briefcase.

The standard timbuk2 messenger bag won't cut it.. not enough compartments and that laptop just bounces around all over in there!

8/17/2007 01:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home