10.25.2006

October Movies: the next seven.

The cinematic onslaught continues:

15. Gangs of New York - Great, but only OK compared to The Departed.

16. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Could have been an Indiana Jones movie had it starred Harrison Ford. Remarkably enjoyable, but a failure at the box office and not a critical hit. Doesn't matter, still a very cool movie.

17. Cube- I'm not normally a gory movie guy, but this was fun. I have to give away the ending though: turns out it wasn't a cube, but a rhombus.

18. Man of the Year - If you've seen the preview, you've already seen all the jokes. I'd seen the preview. Robin Williams is obviously talented, but has he made a great movie since Good Morning Vietnam? Alright, maybe The Fisher King.

19. Young Frankenstein - Shamefully, shamefully I admit: I'd never seen this movie before. Let the drubbing begin in the comments. Proudly I can now say: It's great! Every old joke had a twist to make it new and even funnier.

20. I <3 Huckabees - I really wanted to like this movie... a slew of good moments and actors and lines and shots, all adding up to less than the sum of their parts. The opposite of synergy. Maybe I just didn't get it.

21. Minority Report - Another movie I expected not to like, but really enjoyed. I'm a huge Phillip K. Dick fan and movies based on Dick's work have been hit or miss. This was a big hit. Very enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home