12.20.2006

Shattered Misconceptions

So last night, the conversation turned to squab. (Dead pigeon cooked up real fancy—I knew that.) One of my companions told a funny story about how a local restaurant was selling “Quail Enchiladas” that were actually made out of squirrel. Not because of any malicious, misleading intent, but due to circumstances involving a debt, a trunk full of frozen squirrel meat, a dictated menu, and a very heavy accent. When the health department found out, they promptly put a stop to it. The restaurant owner was outraged and perplexed: Why couldn’t he sell squirrel meat? He could sell bear meat. My companions and I started thinking about it.

R: How is squirrel different than a pigeon?
Me: Well, it is a rodent. But then again, people eat ground hog.
R & L: People eat ground hog?
Me: Yeah! They sell it at the grocery store.
R & L: ?????
Me: Ground chuck.
R & L: (giving me the crazy eye)
Me: Ground up wood chuck. Also known as ground hog.

Turns out I was wrong. Ground chuck is made out of cow. Who knew? (Apparently, everyone in the world except me.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I noticed that you have the Ozarks in your profile and you posted about eating squirrel. I preferred rabbit over squirrel as a kid but now my tastes have matured and I'll take squirrel and dumplings over fried rabbit any day. : )

ps: oh, and you like macs

12/20/2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

There's actually two posters on this blog: I'm the one (that was until recently) based in the Ozarks. I've never tried squirrel, but I have eaten rabbit and wild boar and other Ozarkian goodness. Rain is appalachian-based and prefers vegan cuisine, but we both like Macs.

12/20/2006 03:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home