3.30.2006

95% Compatible

I've been messing around with some of the social sites lately: MySpace, Friendster and OK Cupid (I also consider flickr to be a social site, of course).

MySpace is a universe unto itself that I don't feel I'm qualified to talk about, Friendster is fun and well-designed and the OK Cupid one (done by the guys behind thespark.com who came up with all those tests) has this interesting deal where it asks each user potentially hundreds of questions to get a feel for their personality. It then compares these results to other people of a similar age and gender and gives the results.

As is to be expected, I'm less old-fashioned, thriftier, more artsy, sloppier, kinkier, more trusting, and more progressive than most guys my age. No surprises there. But my little profile dealie says I only match myself at 95%. I guess if there's a clone of myself, there's a 5 percent chance that we wouldn't get along. At first blush that seems odd, but upon reflection I imagine that I would hate my clone. Always saying the exact thing I was about to say. Any success the clone has I would bitterly think, "I could have done that". And what would we talk about? Ourselves? How boring.

No clones for me, thank you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginhawks said...

But a clone could drive through Iowa for you, and take out the garbage. He wouldn't necessarily like it, however.

3/31/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

It's more likely that I'd end up driving through Iowa for the clone: He's younger than me, stronger, and if he's lucky he hasn't damaged his brain that summer where he had the growth spurt like I did where I bumped my head into everything.

I'd be his slave!

4/01/2006 12:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home