5.24.2006

My favorite kind of music (At the moment).

In the previous post about irony, the article from The Guardian speaks of art forms in this postmodern world as
...exclusively self-referential - its core implication is that art is used up, so it constantly recycles and quotes itself.

The other day while I was winnowing my mp3 library, I noticed that much of the music that fascinates me right now is... well, pretty weird. A couple dozen versions of Stairway to Heaven and Love Will Tear Us Apart, the last few Kidz Bop albums, Devo 2.0, endless mashups, Duluth Does Dylan (Revisited), the new Paul Anka album and a legion of random videogame covers, both NES interpretations of popular songs and symphonic arrangements of video game music. Nearly everything I've been adding to my collection lately builds directly upon previous work (rather than the indirect way rock music comes from the blues tradition).

Take that, authentic experience. Is it possible that I'm unable to enjoy music that I haven't heard before? Or is it just everything's postmodern already? Maybe I just know what I like. Sure, there's music podcasts and South by Southwest but it still seems like a lot of my taste in music is recursive right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home