7.26.2006

It was so hot today...

How hot was it? Well, it's good that I have a new toy to let me know precisely how hot things are: an infrared thermometer.


I picked up a unit from an online auto parts supplier and it's nifty: laser scope, backlit screen and measures temperatures up to 500 degrees F. It feels so high tech to use it, like a phaser and a tricorder rolled up into one. According to the instruction book, here's how an infrared thermometer works: magic. Some kind of thermal lens? I didn't grok it, and I'd like to think I'm pretty smart. Anyway, I took it around the yard this afternoon at the hottest part of the day to measure the surface temperature of various objects. Air temperature was around 94 degrees.



White plastic chair sitting in the sun: 114 degrees


Metal shovel blade: 125 degrees


Black car: 157 degrees


White tractor wheel: 110 degrees


Dirt in the sun: 120 degrees


Grass in the shade: 81 degrees


Flamingo in the shade: 91 degrees


Other temperatures include a concrete patio in the sun (110 degrees) and in the shade ten feet away (91 degrees). According to The American Egg Board, eggs need to be cooked to between 144 and 158 degrees, so the car could certainly fry an egg eventually.

The infrared thermometer is an neat tool for food safety and automotive trouble shooting, and a cool toy for other purposes. I'm not sure how much use I'll be able to give it, but it is fun to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home