9.12.2006

Seating assignments

When I was booking my seats for my upcoming flights they airline's website asked me to choose the location of my seats. My first choice was "inside the plane, preferably" then a window seat (which, of course, are the seats closest to the outside of the plane). Outside of those two options I didn't care. But only because I wasn't informed. Now I find Seatguru a page with seating charts of every seat on every plane on every airline. The seats I was asigned are just fine, but next time I have to pick where I sit I'll know what to avoid.

Actually, the whole concept of assigned seating is pretty cool. The last few times I flew Southwest, which eschews the assignment of seats in favor of a "first in line gets first pick" also known as "the bus method". This forces people traveling together who would understandably like to sit together to camp out at the front of the line. Queueing up seems to bring out the worst in strangers, everyone reverts to elementary school rules: no cutting, no saving spots, step out of line and lose your place. I much prefer assigned seating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home