11.24.2006

I Did My Part.

I was going to Walmart today (you would think I'd learn) and I saw three people holding signs across from the Wal-mart parking lot. Too cold for a car wash, I thought and took a closer look. It said: By shopping at Walmart you are promoting sodomy. Yep, Rev. Flip Benham (the gentleman who chairs Operation Rescue) has organized an effort to save Walmart from the radical homosexual agenda. He says that "Every executive at Wal-Mart that allowed this to happen needs a good old fashioned spanking".

And how, exactly, does Walmart cater to this agenda? Well, by working to not discriminate against LGBT suppliers. And Walmart carries books about gay marriage. Gasp! In addition, Walmart also carries Plan B (the morning-after pill) which, ironically, I can't imagine a homosexual agenda having any use for.

I'm not sure what Rev. Benham is calling for: his followers are handing out fliers, but it isn't a protest. And it's not a boycott, as one of the field reports clearly indicates:

I got to the store just before 7:00 am and wore my “Wal-Mart Promotes Sodomy, SaveWalMart.com” t-shirt into the store while I purchased posterboard and markers to make our signs. And then again because I needed a cheap pair of gloves. And then again because the built in battery for our sound system wouldn’t work properly when we got it out on the street.

Walmart is a lightning rod for these kinds of actions because of their high visibility, but most of the knee-jerk criticisms are because of their online book distribution deal with Ingram Book Group. Everything in Ingram's catalog is on Walmart's web page, from sex-ed manuals to a book that advocates the murder of thousands of Wal-Mart employees.

Certainly there's plenty of reasons to avoid shopping at Walmart, but Rev. Benham's reasons are ridiculous. His calls to action are against Walmart taking steps in the right direction: ending discrimination. I guess that makes me part of the radical homosexual agenda too.

I gave a friendly wave to the sign-holders as I left the parking lot, with my new car battery and 2 new keys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home