3.02.2006

Anime has fully penetrated American culture

Snapped this on the mopho at the Walmart the other day:



Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd see Perfect Blue at Walmart. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've used the example of "Perfect Blue at Walmart" to be the time in the far-flung future when Anime is no longer a niche market. While not considered to be a hentai anime, Perfect Blue is certainly not intended for children. It's a psychological thriller with a level of violence, though not gratutious, on par with a film like Seven. It's an entertaining, disturbing story of a pop singer who becomes an actress, an obsessed fan and a series of murders that cause the protagonist's world to spiral out of control. There's stabbings, optocentesis and a simulated (but still distressing) rape scene. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating story about fame, fiction and the nature of reality.

I describe Perfect Blue to be a movie like Requiem for a Dream, a great movie to see once, but once is enough. Research reveals that this comparison is more apt than I originally thought. According to Wikipedia (warning: spoilers) Darren Aronofsky purchased the US remake rights to Perfect Blue so he could reproduce a scene shot-for-shot in Requiem.

The director, Satoshi Kon, is most recently known for Paranoia Agent, a series with perhaps the most jawdropping opening sequences I've seen in a long time. Perfect Blue gets a high recommendation, but I wonder what a lot of Red Staters would think if it if they brought it home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rik said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/20/2008 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger Rik said...

EHace tiempom me di cuenta de la misma coincidencia y realicé el siguiente link, donde comparo imagenes entre ambos flms.

http://ideacomics.blogspot.com/2007/06/requiem-for-blue.html

Saludos

1/20/2008 04:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home