10.02.2006

The Things I Learned Today

It takes a special sort of person to appreciate ginger raspberry cereal first thing in the morning. I am not that sort of person.

The plural of momentum is momenta.

Humble pie is actually a dish, not just an expression. The filling is the internal organs--like intestines--of a pig or cow. [NSFV.]

I need to stop getting dstracted when looking things up in the dictionary.

An ant's body is perfectly designed. It cannot reach a termial veolocity that will kill it. Its shape, combined with its mass, is so low that it can fall from any height without harm. Once again, this lends credence to my theory that insects are the true Masters of the Universe.

Parricide is the murder of a mother, father, or a person to whom one owes credence or respect.

A cortege is a funeral procession. As in: "That nameless hour in which the sounds of the evening would rise up from every floor of the prison in a cortege of silence." (I've been reading The Stranger.)

My life is blessed by wonderful friendships.

Unlike an ant, my terminal velocity--if spread eagle--is 120 mph.

To stand akimbo is to stand with one's hands on hips, elbows out.


[From my journal, 9/20/05. It would be interesting to figure out what words I was actually supposed to be looking up when I found these other ones.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home