1.25.2006

New GPS Satellites

New GPS satellites have been put into service with improved signal strength. This means better signals in bigger cities and indoors. I know a lot of geocaches that would benefit from inproved signal strength too. It also means everyone has to buy new GPSs (to use the new signals, old units will still work fine) but because the signals are stronger, devices can be smaller. I want a GPS enabled iPod so I can go Podcaching!

Podcaching is a term I just made up to denote people adding their own soundtrack to physical locations, like audio notes in a sculpture garden, a walking tour of a city or just someone's favorite song in someone's favorite place. I imagine in addition to GPS the hypothetical future iPod would have to have some sort of wireless internet access, but the word is ready, dammit!

(gps info via engadget)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ginhawks said...

Um. . .so we have to buy new GPS's if we already have them, or not? Also, the word is ready or the world is ready? Just saying.
Also, Yes! I call this The Soundtrack of My Life. Person-specific backgroud music should run at important moments in our lives like it does on TV shows and in the movies. When I'm walking through a great patch of sunlight and just had a bonding moment with my best friend a Simon and Garfunkel song should surround me. And when I'm home alone drinking my sorrows away I'd hear some Jayhawks or Muddy Waters.

1/29/2006 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home