4.07.2006

Dawn of the atomic age

As aforeblogged, United Nuclear is indeed great. As part of my last order, I obtained a sample of Trinitite, the mineral formed by the intense heat of an atomic blast.



Here's an artfully-lit picture of my sample as it appears at United Nuclear.



It was shipped to me in a plastic deli-style container, presumably to protect against gamma radiation. While this sample is radioactive, smoking a pack of cigarettes will expose a person to just as much radiation as a lifetime of handling this sample.



Here's my not-so-artfully lit picture of the Trinitite. The sample is somewhat small, and fused sand rather than the glass that I've heard other samples forming. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic thing to have sitting on one's bookshelf. I'm fascinated by atomic testing and I've been dying to visit the original Trinity test site. Problem is, it's only open two times a year: the first Saturday in April and in October. Just missed the last one, but Joshua Ellis was there. Interesting thing, Josh soliticted donations from internet folks to finance the trip in exchange for the pictures and essay he would write. Folks stood up, funded his trip and his end of the bargain is available to all:

http://www.zenarchery.com/trinity/

Net-funded journalism is one of those things that makes me really appreciate the internet.

(via Boing Boing, via Street Tech)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home