5.12.2006

Wordy Woes

I appreciate a good glossary.

I do not appreciate creating a glossary. Even a half-assed one.

My desk was covered in dictionaries today. I had three of them open in front of me, plus four more a mere click away on my "other desktop." There are only a few specific words that can be used to define a specific word. And while trying to define that one very specific word, one must chart a course between the sucking whirlpool of complete abstract nonsense and the sharp, pointy rocks of plagiarism.

Ironically, it's the easy words that prove most difficult to define.

Using words to define words seems to be a fairly ineffective way to go about things. Someday, I will create the first Doodle Dictionary. I will follow it with the Compendium of Contextualities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home